Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Way Better Than The Wet Weather - Scribe Winery



 Sandy has come and gone in this part of the world, though obviously not in others (take care everyone!).  The only thing she left behind after the party are these clouds.  And these clouds are heavy with rain.

So what am I going to do to stay dry and warm? I'm going to remember my trip to California this summer, think of the hot dry sun, and share with my favourite winery from the trip with you, Scribe.



Scribe was a good find. 
In my experience, the best way to find a great winery, is to ask the staff at all of the other wineries.  I doubt I'm the first one to do this, but the guide books always take me to places that are "okay".  Decent wine, good service, but typically not as much character, pizzaz or authenticity.  The key to finding a great place is to talk to the staff and find out where they would be going on their own personal tour.  The inside scoop on most of the hidden gems is easy to pull out of the pros, they love to share their favourite places, just ask.


Thats what I did at Gundlach Bundschu, (this isn't a knock on Gun Bun, that place was awesome), thanks Courtney! And thats how I found Scribe.

Most wineries and tasting that you'll experience, are friendly, fun, usually informative, but busy and rushed.  You need to keep moving along because the next group or busload has just arrived.  At Scribe, I found the atmosphere was the exact opposite of the other 99%.  Super laid back, have a seat and relax kind of place.  Take your time, smell, taste, enjoy. Repeat.


We were set up at a simple picnic table, and our "Flavour Interpreter" Hannah brought us out a platter of walnuts, salt, cucumber, bread sticks and cheese.  She brought us a number of bottles to try, and had to be 0ne of the most upbeat and positive people we met on our trip.  Classic friendly(Knowledgeable!) service info and advice.


We were told the story of the winery, how two brothers planted the first vines back in the late 1850's.  How it became something... ...a touch different during the prohibition era, and came full circle about 7 years ago when a different set of brothers got it in their heads to plant some vines. All of this happened, of course, with a few interesting stops along the way.  


Do I even need to say this? The wine is fantastic.  I came home with a nice bottle of 2011 Pinot Noir. Saving this for a rainy day.  But not now, not that kind of rainy day, not a literal rainy day.




There were so many others I wished I could have fit in my suit case. the 2009 Syrah and the 2007 Cab Sauv to name a couple


After almost an hour sitting in the sun, we had quick tour of the cellar, said thanks, good-bye to Hannah, and made our way around the grounds. 




One of the leftovers from the previous owners is the Hacienda.  This will eventually will become a tasting and event space.  Gorgeous old building, so much interest.  Maybe when its done, I can go back for another visit?


With the wine finished, we headed out, back to the Sonoma square.   Now that this day dream is over, I'm headed back to Toronto and back to this cold wet weather.  But hey, at least the weekend is going to be nice.


Bill
......................................................................................................................


Scribe Winery
2300 Napa Road
Sonoma, CA
95476
(707) 939-1858

1 comment:

  1. What a great place Bill! Envious of the trip, and glad it was you that got to go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...