Friday, June 1, 2012

Doors Open Toronto


The 12th Annual Doors Open has come and gone and three was there.  Well, two out of three, Stephanie had some very important planning to do. Weddings are kind of a big deal.  However, she did take some time to tell us about one of her favourite places.

Basically everything I needed for the day.

Get your gear together. TTC pass and camera.  Who needs anything else for a day around the TO? Well, some money for lunch I suppose, and good friends. 

We saw quite a few buildings and though Canada Life was my favourite spot of the day, there were highlights all over, at every stop.  It seemed like everywhere I looked, I saw gold!

design exchange

My favourite spot of the day was the Canada Life Building.  There were details throughout the building that translate with so much of what is going on in current and contemporary design.   



These amazing door details. The mullion, the X with that center cap is as beautiful today as it was when it was made.  



The treatment around the back door is as nice as those on the front of the building.  Fluted posts returning into the shell finial details, and a great cap finishing off the top. 


Even the floors still look great.


This is the ceiling at the top of the building, 17th floor with views on all sides.  It has this amazing curve, great gold medallions, and two classic chandeliers. Years ago, Canada Life bought the air space around them  No one can build up and block their view. Now they have a 360 degree view at 17 floors up.  All these great views, but I just couldn't stop looking up and admiring this amazing ceiling details.

Bill
.......................................................................................................................................


Every May I look forward to Doors Open Toronto and this year didn't disappoint.  We were able to visit The Distillery District, St Lawrence Hall, The Design Exchange and the Canada Life Building.



Before the day started I was very excited to see the Design Exchange, I was almost sure it would be my fav building.  Although I have a long time love for the Art Deco period, I fell in love with the Distillery District.  I will for sure revisit and explore that area again.


I'm loving those doors!  The Design Exchange even has summer design camps for kids, how amazing is that?!  If only I had children to send to it!


The view from the 17th floor of the Canada Life building was amazing!

I cannot wait for next May to come and to see what new buildings will be added to the list.

keri
.................................................................................................................................................................


As much as I share the same love for Doors Open Toronto as my fellow bloggers, sadly I was unable to attend this year.  My busy weekend consisted of me running rapid through the city meeting with our wedding DJ, Jewelry goldsmith (you can see his work here & here) and last minute shopping for my future husband's wedding day attire.  Even though I did not have an opportunity to visit all the amazing locations this year, I have visited many in the past.  One in particular stands out to me...


I visited BAPS Shir Swaminarayan Mandir in May of 2008.  The moment I walked up to this Hindu temple carved of Italian marble and Turkish limestone, I was blown away.  The detail and workmanship is incredible. Upon entering the temple, we were asked to remove our shoes and wrap ourselves with a blue Sarong.  We walked in silence, observing this incredible  and peaceful place.  Having an opportunity to visit a place like this is why I love Doors Open Toronto

Stephanie
..................................................................................................................................................................





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...